Oregon Tiny Homes
Your home is your castle. Today’s castles are getting smaller and smaller all of the time. There is a new movement sweeping Oregon. It requires moving from a standard sized home into a tiny house that is between 100 and 600 square feet.
The Growing Tiny Home Movement in Oregon
The tiny house movement is not just about squeezing into a less expensive dwelling. Those who have made the switch claim that their life is more fulfilling since they have more time and money to spend on the things they enjoy, rather than work long hours to pay for more square footage than they really need.
Whether you opt for a permanently affixed home, or one on wheels that can be transported whenever you crave a new setting, tiny house dwellers are enjoying life unencumbered.
Benefits of Tiny House Living
Tiny houses in Oregon offer a lot of benefits for those who are willing to change the way they live. Some of the benefits include:
- Environmentally friendly: if you are on a quest to leave a smaller environmental impact on the world, then tiny house living is the answer.
- Less Energy Needed: the smaller the home, the less energy it is going to use. In addition, many tiny house models in Oregon utilize solar panels to keep energy costs down.
- Easier to Clean: why spend countless hours cleaning rooms you don’t need? Tiny houses can be cleaned in no time, giving you more time for fun.
- Little Maintenance: offering very little to maintain, tiny homes are easy to upkeep.
Tiny House Trends and Options in Oregon
Tiny house trends offer their own set of rules and regulations. Every community has their own code and zoning requirements for tiny house builders in Oregon. This can leave many homeowners struggling to understand the legality of their new homes. For instance, the city of Portland has been known to restrict tiny house building within city limits. However, more rural Oregon municipalities may allow these small dwellings on individual lots. When looking into the rules in the area that you are interested in setting up your tiny home, be sure to ask these important questions:
- Are there minimum size requirements for houses placed on foundations?
- Does the municipality permit tiny homes to be placed in backyards when a home already exists?
- Is camping allowed on private property? If so, how long can the tiny home stay there?
- What special building codes must be adhered to?
- What are the standard setbacks for tiny houses in Oregon?
- Can I set my tiny home in a mobile home or RV park?
- What are the registration rules for my tiny house?
Consider asking local zoning offices about installing tiny homes in cities across Oregon such as:
One of the major concerns of many prospective tiny house dwellers is the fallacy that just because these homes are small, they lack the convenience and amenities of larger dwellings. Advocates for the tiny house movement point out that many high end builders such as Utopian Villas offer sophisticated homes that are designed with quality, style and comfort in mind.
Utopian Villas is a leading Oregon tiny house builder, specializing in custom dwellings that are built to satisfy the high end buyer by offering the luxury of a big house in a fraction of the square footage.
How Much Does a Tiny House Cost in Oregon?
Prices for these small luxury home can range from $30,000-$60,000 (not including land or any other fees) or more depending on the type of amenities offered and the layout incorporated in the design.
Not sure if tiny house living is for you? Call Utopian Villas to discover what this new housing trend is all about and if it is something your family would enjoy.